The PSAT test, is a practice test for the SAT exam. We encourage all 11th graders to take this exam in preparation for the SAT. All eligible 11th grade students who have a qualifying PSAT score are automatically entered in the National Merit Scholarship Program (NMSQT). For additional PSAT/NMSQT information, please pick up a student guide in the counseling office or the Clovis West Library.
The benefits of taking the PSAT Test are:
- A practice test for the SAT Reasoning Test;
- An avenue for connecting students to colleges and scholarship organizations;
- A comprehensive report with information about every question – including correct answers, student responses, and difficulty level, along with student’s own test booklet.
- It focuses on what your student has already learned in school and what they will need to succeed in college.
- It measures their reasoning and critical thinking skills which will be important to them through high school, college, and beyond.
The PSAT/NMSQT includes a Reading Test, a Writing and Language Test, and a Math Test. The score you receive on the PSAT is a baseline to how you would score if you took the SAT. CWHS Counselors distribute the student Test Booklet and scored answer documents in January.