The PSAT test, is a practice test for the SAT exam. We encourage all 9th, 10th, and 11th graders to take this exam in preparation for the SAT. All eligible 11th grade students who have a qualifying PSAT score are automatically entered in the National Merit Scholarship Program (NMSQT). For additional PSAT/NMSQT information, please pick up a student guide in the counseling office or the Clovis West Library.
The benefits of taking the PSAT Test are:
- A practice test for the SAT Reasoning Test;
- An avenue for connecting students to colleges and scholarship organizations;
- A comprehensive report with information about every question – including correct answers, student responses, and difficulty level, along with student’s own test booklet.
- It focuses on what your student has already learned in school and what they will need to succeed in college.
- It measures their reasoning and critical thinking skills which will be important to them through high school, college, and beyond.
All Clovis Unified 11th grade students will take the PSAT free of charge and are automatically registered.
The PSAT/NMSQT includes a Reading Test, a Writing and Language Test, and a Math Test. The score you receive on the PSAT is a baseline to how you would score if you took the SAT. CWHS Counselors distribute the student Test Booklet and scored answer documents in January.